Some Jesus lovers are said to be “so heavenly minded that they are of no earthly good.” That’s usually said about someone who loves Jesus a bit more than we do. The truth is however, that in contemporary Christian church culture the opposite is true. Most are so earthly minded they are no heavenly good! Chew on that a bit. The reality of heaven and hell have been diminished in our culture to the point of irrelevance. This is tragic because; “We are not physical beings who have occasional spiritual experiences, we are spirit beings who are having a TEMPORARY physical experience.” T. DeChardin.
The evil one has implanted such distortion in our perception of reality! We need to step back and refocus, rethink, and in many of our lives redirect our energy.
One step in that process might be to spend some time learning about our true home, heaven. If you resonate with the brief introductory challenge you might well find the following outline helpful and actually very exciting. The more we learn of what our real home is truly like the less we will feel the need to hang on to this sin-scarred place. For your eternal blessing:
What is heaven like?
- Beautiful beyond imagination – 1 Corinth. 2:9 – Rev. 21-22
- A place where our home will be – John 14:2
- A place with no night or day, lighted by the presence of God and Jesus – Rev.21:23
Emotionally – What won’t be there?
- Hunger or thirst – Rev.7:16,17
- Tears – Rev 21:4 – What causes tears?
- Death – Rev 21:4 – What causes death?
- Sorrow – Rev21:4 – What causes sorrow?
- Crying – Rev 21:4 – What causes crying?
- Pain – Rev 21:4 – What causes Pain? (3 kinds of pain – Physical. Emotional. Spiritual.)
- Curse – Rev 22:3 – no more curse – What are the effects of the “Curse” – (Gen. 3:15-24)
Relationally – If all of the above is true, and all those things and all that causes them are gone, what kind of relationships will exist in heaven? What things hinder or hurt relationships on earth as we experience this temporary physical experience?
- selfish agendas
- love with strings
- jealousy, envy
- comparison, competition
What would a perfect relationship be like?
- no strings
- no hang-ups
- no jealousy
- no competition or comparison
- total acceptance
- total transparency
- no hidden or selfish agenda
In heaven we will have nothing less than or other than perfect relationships. Not only that, there won’t even be the possibility of any thing that hurts!!! How much time and effort do we spend now in trying to protect ourselves against those things that hurt?!!!!!
Who will we relate to/with in Heaven?
- God, our Father, Jesus our Savior, The holy Spirit, the angels, the Saints who are our brothers and sisters – Our ultimate family!
What will I be like in Heaven?
- I John 3:2
- Luke 24:16 & 36-43
- John 20:16 – John 20:27
- Luke 16_19-31
- I Cornith. 15:35-49
God created us to be human. Why would He save us to be something totally different? We will be a new and changed us, not a different kind of us. A new car is still a car.
What will we do in Heaven?
- a. We will reign with Jesus – II Timothy 2:12 – Rev 3:21 – (reign – The exercise of sovereign power)
- We will rule over “many things” – Matthew 25:14-21,23 (rule –
1. to exercise control, dominion, or direction over, to govern)
2. governing power or its possession or use; authority
3. to dominate by powerful influence
4. to decide or declare judicially or authoritatively; decree
5. to be in total control or command, exercise supreme authority.)
- c. We will “have authority” over cities.” Luke 19:17-19 (authority – the power to enforce laws, exact obedience command, determine or judge; power assigned by another, authorization)
- d. We will serve Jesus – Rev 7:15 – Rev 22:3 (serve –
- 1. To work for
- 2. To be a servant to
- 3. To give homage and obedience
- 4. To be employed as a servant
- 5. To act in a particular capacity
- 6. To meet requirements or needs
What about rewards? Are there rewards in Heaven?
- Matt.6:1-19 – Matt 10:41,42 – Matt 19:21
- Hebrews 11:6
- Luke 14:12-14 –12:33 – 18:22 – 6:21-23
- John 6:27
- Mark 9:41 – 10:21
What are rewards? Define: Something earned or attained by or for specific performance, behavior, actions.
The law of rewards: Our faith determines our eternal destination. Our behavior determines our eternal rewards.
Works = what we have done with our resources (time, energy, money, possessions, reputation, etc.).
What determines rewards? The “Bema” judgment of “works.” “Things done in the Body”
- Matt. 16:27, Luke 12:48
- John 5:28,29
- Matt 7:24-26
- Rev 20:22-15
- II Corinth. 5:10
- Romans 14:12
- Matt 12:36
- I Corinth 3:11-15
- John 15:1-8
What is “fruit?” Eternal fruit = Lives turned toward God Fruit is the result of “good works.”
What does God say about works?
- Titus 1:15,16 – 2:7 – 2:14 – 3:14
- Matt 5:16
- Ephesians 2:10
- I Timothy 2:10 – 6:18,19
- II Thessalonians 2:16,17
- Rev. 14:13 – Rev 2:2 Rev 2:23 Rev 19:7,8
- II Peter 1:10,11
- II Timothy 3:16,17 – I Timothy 5:254
How then shall we live? Our answers will demonstrate our true values and create the basis for our eternal experience.
Think friends, please think!